Monday, April 14, 2014

The old has gone, the new is here!

My life has changed since I came to know Jesus Christ.” Can you say that? No one likes to be told his or her beliefs are wrong. So when you share your life changing experience, keep the focus in on Jesus: Jesus is the way – not any church or religion.

Let’s look at the story of how Paul’s life was changed when he put his faith in Jesus. Remember Paul was also called Saul. Don’t be confused by the two names.

In Acts 9: 2, why do you think Christians were called people of “the Way?”

Christians claim that faith in Jesus is the “only way” to salvation (John 14: 2). Paul was a proud Jewish religious leader and did not want to admit that his religion was wrong.

Ananias was not convinced that Saul has become a believer in Jesus. Still in Acts 9:11, what the Lord told Ananias was evidence that Saul has changed? He was praying.

Do you think Saul’s prayers were (a) casual or (b) Intense, crying out to God for mercy and forgiveness?

Someone has said: “When a person becomes desperate Jesus comes near.” God humbled Saul so that he would realize how desperately he needed Jesus. Can you share a time when God humbled you in order to bring you close to Him?

Read Acts 9:19b-22 How would you describe the change that had occurred in Saul’s life? It was a 180 degree turn! A radical change, right?

In 2 Corinthians 5:17, Paul described what happened to him — and to us who believe in Christ. Not many people have a dramatic “Damascus Road experience” like Saul, but all of us should be able to say: The old has gone, the new is here!

Go: Share your testimony with 3 other people who need to hear about Jesus.

1 Meanwhile, Saul was still breathing out murderous threats against the Lord’s disciples. He went to the high priest
2 and asked him for letters to the synagogues in Damascus, so that if he found any there who belonged to the Way, whether men or women, he might take them as prisoners to Jerusalem.
3 As he neared Damascus on his journey, suddenly a light from heaven flashed around him.
4 He fell to the ground and heard a voice say to him, “Saul, Saul, why do you persecute me?”
5 “Who are you, Lord?” Saul asked.“I am Jesus, whom you are persecuting,” he replied.
6 “Now get up and go into the city, and you will be told what you must do.”
7 The men traveling with Saul stood there speechless; they heard the sound but did not see anyone.
8 Saul got up from the ground, but when he opened his eyes he could see nothing. So they led him by the hand into Damascus.
9 For three days he was blind, and did not eat or drink anything. - Acts 9:1-9 (NIV)

6 Jesus answered, “I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.  - John 14:6 (NIV)

17 Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, the new creation has come: The old has gone, the new is here!  - 2Corinthians 5:17 (NIV)

2 comments:

  1. Paul's (Saul) prayers at this time I am almost positive would have been very intense ... I can sympathise with him in that having the realization and to be forgiven by Jesus for doing horible and unspeakable things is awesomely amazing.. and as I have said in the past on more than a single occation, I myself am blessed and greatful that I have such a loving Father that He has sent his one and only son to wipe away all of my sins in forgivness. And Thank You Lord Jesus for wiping away ALL of my sins for I know I am no way worthy..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did you share your testimony after doing this study? I shared my testamony with 2 people this week..

    ReplyDelete