Tuesday, February 06, 2024

Faces...

I have never been good with remembering names so much but I almost always remember a face.

Most of the people I ran around with in my youth I can remember the names, some of them are faint memories now but I can still see thier faces even now.

Most of us havnt changes so much other than gaining wrinkles and loosing hair or turning grey, but we still mostly look the same as we did in our youth. The majority of the people I grew up with in early grade school before I moved into the country are still my friends, crazy side is that some dont exactly remember me other than my face. Some of this was due to thier drug use in earlier years or rather thats what several of them have told me.

The reason I have started talking about this is because of conversations during the trip back from moms dr appointment today and after we got back, about some things during highschool and even grade school. You see, Sandi and I did attend the same highschool together. Well, we did but, we didn’t know each other so much as we knew some of the same people. Some of these where people I went to grade school with and some wasn’t. Either way, im kinda getting off point. So here’s todays story.

Even as young as in 1st grade, I had a standard that I lived by that you didn’t pick on the smaller kids or the ones that couldnt defend themselves. Here it was first grade, I don’t remember who all was involved except for 2 or 3 of them but I can still see all of thier faces like they are burned into my memories. For some reason there was an interruption for the teacher to be out of classroom an another for one of the boys that was getting picked on quite often to get shoved into a dark closet by 4 other boys. Needless to say, I stood up to those 4, pulling at them and trying to get to traped kid in the dark closet. I said some really bad words that day, just as the teacher walked into the room. She didnt see what exactly had happened, but did hear what I said and saw me tossing kids to the floor.

Yup, it was my first school paddling, I remember it all too well. Ms. Brown I think her name was, with the paddle made from pencils sandwiched between 2 rulers and held together with masking tape. I can still see it, and can still remember the 5 swats I got the first round. Why did I say first round you ask? Well, I was asked by one of my friends if it hurt and I said “No, not like it will when I get home”. She took me back into the hallway and not only gave me 5 more, but then sent me to the office for more from the Principal.

Luckily, the Principal was more fair and just. I grew to love the man as a mentor over the years and I am still friends and look up to him til this day.

This day that stands in my memory is one that stands out as the begining of my journey as the “bully to the bullies” which I did do for the majority of my life. I always tried to stand up for the unjust treatment of people that were being picked on for the most part and I still remember all of thier faces.. I don’t know all of thier names but thier faces remain the same even now.

Thanks for reading ~W

Check out our store at: https://whysprs-whymseys.square.site

No comments:

Post a Comment