Friday, May 16, 2014

What to Do When It Makes No Sense

Can you imagine being questioned back by God? I'm thinking that it would be kind of scary and rather fearful. I've been scolded by bosses and my parents and all were way too uncomfortable for me. God does love us all for if he didn't, he wouldn't have sent His only son Jesus to save us all. But God also can be angry but He is slow to anger. Can you imagine just how far you have to push to anger our Holy Father. I know our children can really make it difficult for us some times, especially in the teenage years but we still love them... no matter what, its unconditional... just like God's Love for us..
~B

Instead of asking God “Why?” you need to learn to trust God in things you don’t understand.

For 37 chapters in the book of Job, Job asks the “why” questions: “Why is this happening to me? Why are you allowing this? Why so much pain? Why so much discomfort? Why haven’t you answered my prayers?”

In chapter 38, Job stops asking “why.” And God says, “Now I’d like to ask you a few questions.” And for the next two chapters, God barrages Job with questions that only God can answer.

He asks things like, “Where were you when I made the universe? Can you explain the law of gravity?” And, after two chapters, Job realizes that he is just a man, and his knowledge is limited. Who is he to question God?

Job stops questioning, and he starts trusting. He replied to the Lord, “I know that you can do anything, and no one can stop you. You asked, ‘Who is this that questions my wisdom with such ignorance?’ It is I — and I was talking about things I knew nothing about, things far too wonderful for me.… I take back everything I said, and I sit in dust and ashes to show my repentance” (Job 42:1-3, 6 NLT).

What do you do in a situation where you can’t see the whole picture, things aren’t clear, and it makes no sense to you what’s happening?

You remind yourself of the things about God that you do know. Even in the middle of his doubts, Job affirmed what he knew to be true about God: God is loving (Job 10:12), God is all powerful (Job 36:22), God is in control (Job 34:13), God had a plan for his life (Job 23:14), God would protect him (Job 5:11).

I don’t know what you’re dealing with in your life, but I will tell you this: God is passionately and intimately aware of every detail that you’re going through right now. He’s paying attention to your every breath. Nothing misses God’s attention.

You may not understand why you’re going through what you’re going through, but you need to say this to God: “I know you’re good; I know you’re loving; I know you’re powerful; I know you notice the details of my life; I know you’re in control; I know you have a plan; I know you will protect me.” Then, you need to trust God — no matter what.

Whatever you’re going through, tell God exactly how you feel. He can handle it! Accept help from others. Stop asking “why,” and start trusting God for the things you don’t understand.

1 Then Job replied to the Lord:
2 “I know that you can do all things; no purpose of yours can be thwarted.
3 You asked, ‘Who is this that obscures my plans without knowledge?’ Surely I spoke of things I did not understand, things too wonderful for me to know. - Job 42:1-3 (NIV)

6 Therefore I despise myself and repent in dust and ashes.”  - Job 42:6 (NIV)

12 You gave me life and showed me kindness, and in your providence watched over my spirit.  - Job 10:12 (NIV)

22 “God is exalted in his power. Who is a teacher like him?  - Job 36:22 (NIV)

13 Who appointed him over the earth? Who put him in charge of the whole world?  - Job 34:13 (NIV)

14 He carries out his decree against me, and many such plans he still has in store.  - Job 23:14 (NIV)

11 The lowly he sets on high, and those who mourn are lifted to safety.  - Job 5:11 (NIV)

This devotional © 2014 by Rick Warren. All rights reserved. Used by permission.

No comments:

Post a Comment