Thursday, December 26, 2013

Working some wood

I hadn't posted any of this before, simply because there is a chance that my daughter would see and I didn't want to ruin her Christmas suprise.

I wanted to show this for my friend Shad. I don't have a computer and this is all done from my phone so editing is a bit iffy and can't post like I would if it were from a pc.. so here it goes... enjoy.

I started this project with a 2 x 1/2 in x 30ish in board the length all dempends on how long you want your finger board to be. I also have some 4 in x 1/2 in planks to use for head stock.

I use a plane to shave down the edges and put a partal rounding to the neck and finger board. I also cut a 45* cut to the end of the board and cut a piece of the 4 in plank at the same angle to made the head stock.

This I glue and add two 1 inch pieces of all thread to two pre drilled holes for extra support.

This is all sanded down by hand until smooth.

I then stained the entire board with homemade tea stain made (by soaking a large 1 quart size teabag in 1 cup of water for 2 weeks) which I appled about 7 coats.

I then appled another home made stain ( 1 1/2 cup cider vinegar 1 steel wool pad and 2 tablespoons coffee grounds soaked for 2 weeks) which turned the darker color which I used for the finger board.

No comments:

Post a Comment