Wednesday, April 02, 2014

Jonah Challenge day 2 of 4 4-2-14

Sorry I didn't get this out this morning like I originally wanted to, I fell behind due to work this morning and simply forgot.

"My suffering was good for me, for it taught me to pay attention to your decrees." (Psalm 119:71, NLT).

Afflictions and storms cause us to be totally dependent on the only ANCHOR that can fight waves – GOD. There is a beautiful Hillsong Song called 'Cornerstone' and in one of the verses the lyrics are ‘My anchor holds within the veil’. This is the hope that every Believer has, that no matter the storm, our Anchor being God, will hold!

Have Faith In The Prayers Made During Storm

Jonah had faith that God heard his prayer and delivered him from his situation! From verse 1-2, I deduce that he believed his prayer was answered before he was ‘actually’ delivered. We need this type of faith, storm or no storm! We need to believe that God hears our prayers and will answer according to His sovereign will! Remember Jonah spent 3 days in that fish! Most of us would have given up after day one. Jonah persevered, seeking God’s answer, turning His heart to God’s temple and we should too!

The Weeds Of The Mind And The Importance Of FELLOWSHIP

Jonah said the weeds entangled his head. This intrigued me. Head=mind… Looking at the features of weeds: They are annoying plants, if you have a garden you’d know. Weeds are skilled in growing anywhere and everywhere that weed killer does not exist! Weeds grow aggressively!

Those weeds are the negative maladaptive thoughts, cognitions that grow in the absence of the weed killer – The Word of God (John 1:1), God, Fellowship etc.

"God’s Word is a sword, ‘shank’ every thought that is impure" as Jahaziel’s song says. Take captive every thought, don’t allow it to grow! Fellowship is so important. Lack of fellowship with others leaves you vulnerable on a spiritual level! The mathematics of the Bible shows how important fellowship is!

When Jesus started his ministry, what did he do? He found himself disciples, varying in kind and occupation! 12 to be precise.

When God created the world, who was with him? The Holy Spirit, the counselor, WISDOM.
Adam was given to Eve.
Need I say more…FELLOWSHIP is key! The List of Examples are endless

1In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. - John 1:1 (NIV)

77 Let your compassion come to me that I may live, for your law is my delight.  - Psalm 119:77 (NIV)

1 From inside the fish Jonah prayed to the Lord his God. 2 He said:“In my distress I called to the Lord, and he answered me. From deep in the realm of the dead I called for help, and you listened to my cry. 3 You hurled me into the depths, into the very heart of the seas, and the currents swirled about me; all your waves and breakers swept over me. 4 I said, ‘I have been banished from your sight; yet I will look again toward your holy temple.’ 5 The engulfing waters threatened me, the deep surrounded me; seaweed was wrapped around my head. 6 To the roots of the mountains I sank down; the earth beneath barred me in forever. But you, Lord my God, brought my life up from the pit. 7 “When my life was ebbing away, I remembered you, Lord, and my prayer rose to you, to your holy temple. 8 “Those who cling to worthless idols turn away from God’s love for them. 9 But I, with shouts of grateful praise, will sacrifice to you. What I have vowed I will make good. I will say, ‘Salvation comes from the Lord.’” 10 And the Lord commanded the fish, and it vomited Jonah onto dry land. - Jonah 2:1-10 (NIV)

No comments:

Post a Comment